Welcoming Friends, Family and Energy:
The Care and Colour of Your Front Door
“The doors we open and close each day decide the lives we live”. – Flora Whittemore
As you have rushed in and out of your front door each day over the years, did you give any thought at all to the door itself; its colour or condition? No one can blame you for your inattention. After all, this portal to your home is akin to a trusty servant; one that silently bids you farewell in the morning and eagerly welcomes you home in the evening. Although you may consider the care and colour of your front door to be insignificant, both have far-reaching impacts on the appearance of your home, its perceived sense of welcome, and its ability to generate Chi (positive energy). In Feng Shui, the front door is where energy enters your home. “Adding Feng Shui principles to your front door invites positive energy“ inside.
Feng Shui may not have been on Flora Whittemore’s mind when she uttered the previous quote, but truer words have not been spoken. The care and colour of your front door decide the life you live. “The stronger, the healthier, and the more balanced the door, the more beneficial the energy is for those inside”. How do you ensure your front door is going to improve your good fortune? How do you choose the colour of your front door among the myriad of possibilities? The answer: with a combination of logic and Feng Shui principles.
How to ensure your front door will improve your good fortune.
In order to attract positive energy, try imagining Chi as a guest being invited to your home. What would make it feel welcome enough to enter the front door and stay? Implementing the following suggestions will ensure “elevated chi, new opportunities and an attractive front door”.
- Beginning at the curb, take note of the pathway leading to your door. Curvy, meandering paths are auspicious. A straight route from the street can encourage energy to rush into your home forcefully. In the latter’s case, placing plants on either side of the door can slow down the energy before it enters your home. It is important to note that the type of plant is significant as well. In order to attract Chi and avoid the risk of poison arrows, the plant’s leaves should be round rather than pointy.
- Both the pathway and the door itself should be well lit, as this will attract energy into your home. In the case of a recessed door, extra lighting should be provided in order to make the door stand out.
- Although stairs leading up to your front door can cause energy to stream out, placing round-leafed plants at the front entrance will once again slow the energy down.
- All clutter from the front entrance should be removed. It may impede the positive energy’s progress through your front door, and cause stress for you whenever you glance at it.
- Similarly, any dead plants should be discarded as they create negative energy.
- Remove any other obstacles to your front door, such as seasonal decorations or outdoor furniture.
- Ensure everything is in working order. For instance, are there any difficulties opening or closing the door? Does the lock work? Do the hinges squeak? Does the doorbell ring? No matter how powerful the colour of your door, if broken energy is hovering, Chi will not enter your home.
- It is important to keep your front door clean. Ensure to regularly wipe it down with a damp cloth.
- As your door is the portal of energy into your home, it is imperative that you use it daily in order to avoid blocking the energy from entering.
- Finally, take stock of the door’s condition: is it in need of repainting? Is the paint faded or peeling? If so, this is a great opportunity to consider a new paint colour for your front door.
How to choose the colour of your front door.
Curb appeal is a real estate term that is bandied about whenever discussing the attractiveness of a home’s exterior. The care and colour of your front door can have an immediate impact on your home’s curb appeal. Choosing the perfect hue for your door though is not as simple as picking your favourite colour. Not only should you consider the colour, style and personality of your home, but you should also consider the colour’s Feng Shui meaning.
- Every colour has a meaning according to Feng Shui principles. When choosing the colour of your front door, consider what type of energy you want to attract.
- Purple: It is an auspicious, powerful colour which represents the notion of nobility, wisdom and insight.
- Red: This colour signifies fortune, happiness, passion, fire and strength.
- Pink: It represents love, pure intentions, compassion, understanding, joy and romance.
- Beige: This hue embodies attraction and romance.
- Orange: It is a happy colour, which also represents power and socialization.
- Yellow: This colour signifies tolerance, patience, wisdom, loyalty, and optimism.
- Green: It represents hope, growth, family, vitality and spring. It is also a balancing, calming and relaxing colour.
- Aqua: This bright colour embodies growth, new beginnings, and strength.
- Blue: This is a peaceful, calming hue which can create a healing energy.
- White: The colour of innocence, white represents purity, hope, clarity, and a new beginning.
- Black: A powerful colour, it signifies spirituality, water, wisdom, elegance and sophistication.
- In the case of a recessed door, care should be taken to choose a colour that will make the door “pop”. Its natural tendency to fade into the background requires the creation of extra energy, to make it stand out and look welcoming.
Do you find it fascinating that according to Feng Shui principles, there is a portal in your home that allows energy to enter? That depending on the care and colour of your front door you can attract Chi and decide the life you will live? If so, you can build a career pursuing your passion in Feng Shui, by becoming a Certified Ultimate Feng Shui Specialist™. As a graduate of Ultimate Academy®, you will be equipped with the knowledge and training to pursue business opportunities within Feng Shui itself, or to simply add the knowledge of Feng Shui to your life-belt of skills.
Either way, with Feng Shui you will decide the life you will live.